Apple cider vinegar might be the new ‘it’ food that makes it to the trend. But did you know that it has been used as a natural medicine for thousands of years?
Nowadays, people use it as a toner, some even consume it and claimed they lose weight. Others said that it relieves them from indigestion. You probably see the hype and wonder what is all the fuss about. The question is it real?
Some people start to swap their white vinegar, to this new hype.
So, let’s find out what makes apple cider vinegar so special compared to the white vinegar.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a liquid that is made from the fermentation of crushed apple cider. 1 tablespoon of ACV contains three calories.
Some brands offer organic and unfiltered ACV which contain protein, enzymes, and friendly bacteria.
How Apple Cider Vinegar Is Made
First, crush the apple and wait for them to yeast. It will ferment the sugars and turn them into alcohol.
Second, add bacteria to the alcohol solution. It will turn into acetic acid.
And voila! The apple cider vinegar is made.
Types of Apple Cider Vinegar
It has a light brown color.
It has a Bark Brown color. You can see sediment at the bottom of the bottle. This is known as the mother of vinegar and contains acetic acid bacteria
What Makes Apple Cider Vinegar Special
Apple cider vinegar contains many mineral and vitamin that is essential to your body function. One tablespoon of it contain 2% calcium, 2% phosphorus, 3% iron, 3% magnesium, 5% potassium and 30% manganese.
Apple Cider Vinegar can balance and detox your body system. By using ACV, you will maintain a healthy alkaline pH level and creates overall detoxification for your body.
ACV can fight harmful bacteria. Over two thousand years ago, vinegar is used for cleaning wounds and treating infections. Nowadays, it can be used to treat acne. A small amount of it can be mixed with water and used as a toner.
What’s special about ACV is that they contain polyphenols that work as antioxidants. They can curb cell damage like cancer. And ACV’s acetic acid can be used for lots of medical purposes.
Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
There are many health benefits that apple cider vinegar can offer, some of it is:
- Control blood sugar levels. ACV works in a natural way for people with insulin resistance.
- It improves heart health and lowers cholesterol. By consuming ACV, you can lower your triglycerides levels and reduce the risk of heart disease
- Treat the symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Apple cider vinegar could improve insulin sensitivity, and lowering blood sugar levels. It is essential for people with PCOS who has insulin resistance.
- Promotes weight loss. Apple cider vinegar makes people feel full, therefore they will eat less. Studies have shown that apple cider vinegar helps people lose weight in three months compared to people who don’t consume it. They even lose belly fat.
- Improves Digestion. Apple cider vinegar increases acid in the stomach and helps create more pepsin to break down protein. It could treat an upset stomach, constipation or diarrhea.
- Soothe a sore throat. Because of it
- Cure hiccups. Apple cider vinegar work by overstimulate the nerves in the throat.
- Treat Type 2 diabetes. Apple cider vinegar could reduce blood sugar, by blocking the enzymes that used to digest starch.
- Treat dandruff and hair. The acetic acid contained in the vinegar can alter the scalp pH. It could also be sprayed to your hair roots to control oil and keep the hair fresh.
- Treat acne. It works as a natural home remedy and has antibacterial properties to treat acne. Lactic acids in vinegar could soften and balance the pH of your skin.
Apple Cider Vinegar VS White Vinegar
You are probably wondering what is the difference between apple cider vinegar and white vinegar (WV). Which one of them is better? And how do they taste like? Or can you even mix it? Well, this is the answer:
The first thing you will find is the white vinegar is clear, while ACV has a dark brown color. Remember if you are cooking, using an ACV will darken most vegetables and fruits. If you are trying to have a good food presentation, you might want to switch to white vinegar because it doesn’t affect the color of vegetables or fruits.
White vinegar (WV) and apple cider vinegar (ACV) is produced through the same process. They are distilled from fermented ethanol and resulted in acetic acid. This is good for your health, and both of them have it.
However, an organic, raw and unfiltered ACV offers more nutrients like potassium, B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and iron, while WV has no nutritional value.
For the flavor, ACV has a mild and fruity flavor, with a subtle hint of apple. and it blends well with spices, while WV has a sour aroma and tart acid flavor.
WV is useful for household cleaning, pickling condiments and preserving meat because it has a higher acetic acid level. While ACV has a less acetic acid level, it will be less efficient when used for cleaning, pickling or preserving food.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar
To consume it, you can use it in cooking whether as a salad dressing, or preservative. It is not recommended to drink straight from the bottle. You can mix it with water or tea if you like.
How Much Apple Cider Vinegar You Should Consume A Day
Control Blood Sugar Level
Take 4 teaspoons (20ml) of apple cider vinegar before a meal. Mix it with water. It could prevent large blood sugar spikes. Works best when consumed before a high carb meal.
Take 1 tablespoon (15ml) of apple cider vinegar after dinner each day. Mix it with 100ml water.
Take 1-2 tablespoons (15-30ml) of apple cider vinegar each day. Do it for several months. You can mix it in a glass of water, or mix it with oil for salad dressing. Works well when combined with diet and lifestyle changes.
Take 1-2 tablespoons (15-30ml) of apple cider vinegar before a meal.
Take 1-2 tablespoons (15-30ml) of apple cider vinegar and diluted with water into a bottled spray. Spray it and leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing. Use it 1-2 times a week.
Take several drops of vinegar and add it with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Toner, Body or Skin
Take 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix it with water. The ratio is 1:10, this means for each tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, there should be 10 for water.
How To Store Apple Cider Vinegar
To make sure your ACV has a long shelf life, here are some tips you need to follow:
- Store it in a cool and dry place. Avoid direct heat or sunlight. You don’t need to store it in the fridge,
- Keep the bottle sealed after opening
If you properly stored your ACV, it will stay at its best quality for about two to five years. It never spoils, and it’s safe to use after the “best by” date. Because ACV has high acidity, it kills any possible bacteria growth. So there is no chance of the vinegar going bad as stated from livestrong.com. But the appearance and flavor may start to fade over time.
Just like other types of vinegar, apple cider vinegar contain a high amount of acid. Don’t drink it straight up.
Consuming too much apple cider could damage your:
- Enamel Teeth. This could lead to cavities.
- Lower potassium levels that support your muscles and nerves
- Allergic reactions for some people.
Don’t use it as a nasal spray, sinus wash, or eye drops.
If you take medication like:
- Insulin for diabetes. Vinegar can make your blood sugar and potassium levels to drop.
- Digoxin (Lanoxin) and diuretic drugs. Vinegar can also lower your potassium too much.
You might consider not to consume it because it might interact with apple cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar contains acid, be sure not to mix it with anything that could neutralize and reduce its positive effects
It is recommended to drink through a straw and rinse your mouth with water after consuming apple cider vinegar to prevent damaged tooth enamel.
If you ever experience nausea, burping or reflux, or even an allergic reaction, consult with your doctor or health specialist before continue to consume it.
Start with small doses first and don’t take a large amount.
While consuming apple cider vinegar might be good for you, but be sure to take it on the right amount. Choose an ACV that has acetic acid less than 5% if you use it for cooking or medicinal purposes. Too much acetic acid could leach vital nutrients from your body.
Apple cider vinegar offers many health benefits for you. It is low in calories, its a naturally gluten-free, it’s high in mineral and vitamins!
The best way to consume it is in the morning when you just start out the day. You can start with a small amount. The maximum of apple cider vinegar is 2 tablespoons (30ml) per day.
Unfiltered apple cider vinegar or the mother is the best one because it contains many beneficial ingredients.
If you are looking for apple cider vinegar, be sure to get it from HoneyCity.